[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruli in the East

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 10 19:39:38 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> > Yes, Tore, I have been sceptic concerning the
> > Eruli influence around Lake Maelaren for years
> > but since I read  Barthi Guthmundsson's (former
> > Keeper of the National Atrchives of Iceland)
> > _The Origin of the Icelanders_ I have began
> > changing my mind. There is obviously an
> > East Scandinavian/East Germanic influence.
>

> You are confusing East Scandinavian with East Germanic. East
> Scandinavians are not East Germanic, but North Germanic.
>

> > Guthmundsson presented (unfortunately he passed
> > away all too early in 1957) some weighty arguments
> > for what you mention. For instance G. mentions
> > gothi-dom (priesthood with secular leadership)
> > as not existing in West Nordic tradition.
> >
> > An interesting point is also the fertility cult of
> > Frey that was prevalent on Iceland. That connects
> > well with the cult that prevailed among the Goths,
> > Eruli and others along the Baltic coast.
>

> Where do you get this information that the the Frey cult prevailed
> among the Goths and Eruli?
>

>  Therefore
> > at least the leaders of the original Icelandic
> > immigration could be of East Scandinavian/
> > East Germanic origin and  it is to them we
> > maybe owe the Edda, the sagas. the skalds.
>

> Once again, East Scandinavians have nothing to do with East
Germanic
> people.

  Hæ Dirk.  Would you then call the Heruli going to Scandinavia;
North Germanic people?? If so, then the Ostrogoths were North
Germanic people too??
In my view the Heruli group going to Scandinavia must be classified
as East Germanic people just like the Ostrogoths are classified as
such.
The Heruli settled among East Scandinavian people. Anyway I think
that it is generally accepted by scholars that this Heruli migration
took place. I understand it so after reading the posts on Germ. and
Gothic-L.And they settled among East Scandinavian people.
So when you say that East Germanic people has nothing to do with East
Scandinavian people then you must be expressing your privat opinion.
Most scholars do not seem to agree with you.

> Dirk
>

> PS  Why do you always have to dig up such old authors? Some
> significant short commings of Guthmundson's book were revealed on
the
> Germanic list some time ago.

 Einar*******

 ***  What shortcomings specifically are you talking about?
And have you read his book?

I would like to if not opposed by the owner of the list(because this
is maybe considered off-topic) to answer you in more detail tomorrow
and clarify a few things. I admit that my presentation of Barðis
ideas have been chaotic and not so good. That does not make his ideas
wrong.

Bless Einar.