[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruli in the East

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 11 16:44:01 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "einarbirg" <einarbirg at y...> wrote:
> >

> To prove anything beyond doubt is often impossible in these
matters.
> There is also no proof that Procopius was accurate in this passage
> either. In many instances Procopius's shortcoming as a writer are
> obvious, in this case there are only indications. Textual analysis
> reveals that Procopius' writing about the Heruls was not balanced
and
> matter of fact, but influenced by a strong dislike coupled with

> ethnographic stereo-types.

Einar******

  Hæ Dirk.  Maybe Procopius just pretended to dislike the Heruli. He
was expected to dislike them. He seems to admire them as well.
Procopius seems to have had some *special* relationship with the
Heruli. I wonder if A. Cameron has mentioned such things!!

>> Also, can I ask you where exactly Procopius said this group of
Heruls
> migrated to? Yes, he speaks about 'ultima Thule' and 'the end of
the
> world'. This place is usually identified with a number of
localities
> ranging from Iceland over the Orkneys, Shetlands to Norway. But
then
> he locates them in an area which would point to East Scandinavia.

        Einar; Dirk, you know better than this. Procopius was not
talking about Iceland or Shetland. His description is pretty
accurate. They go through the land of the Dani,go over the sea and
settle next to the Gauti. Oll very clear.

Dirk, what would you say if Irish legends did describe a migration to
Iceland in the settlement period but according to historians and
archaeologist remains of Celtic activity is not to be found? Which
they still claim(wrongly)
You would probably say that these legends were a invention. They were
not true.

But then linguists have another story to tell and genetic scientists
say that maybe 40-45% of Ice. genetic material is from the Celts.
Whom to belief??
Historians and archaeologist that do not want for nationalistic and
other reasons to find any remains from these Celts or the others?

Another question. If in theory a strong connection between Icelandic
skeletal material from the settlement period(DNA reaserch) and
skeletal material from supposed to be Heruli burials from the
migration period would be established.
If that would would happen one day then would you still deny the
possibility that part of the Heruli descentands migrated to Iceland??

And I am here assuming that in Scandinavian skeletal material a
connection would not have been established??
You see it is a problem if the Heruli in Scandinavia had the custom
of burning the dead. Then there would be no material to compare.
Luckily because of might be Christian influences from the British
Isles this custom of burning the dead was not established in Iceland.

Bless,bless Einar.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!