[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruli in the East

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 11 16:56:36 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "einarbirg" <einarbirg at y...> wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > >>

> so.
> > To my knowledge there were language changes in Scandinavia
> happening
> > at a rather big scale in the sixth century. This info I have from
> > some posts on Germ or Gothic-L.
> > If these changes in language were indeed happening in Scandinavia
> in
> > the sixth century on some reasonably big scale then it is normal
> > assume that one of the explanations could be because of a
> substantial
> > influx of newcomers. That is maybe the Heruli.
>

> We should defer this question to a linguist. Here is the article by
> Oesten Dahl on the origin of Scandinavian languages.
> http://www.ling.su.se/staff/oesten/papers/Theorigin.pdf
>
> On page 12 or so he investigates the Upplandic language of the 6th
> century concluding that it was in no sense an East Germanic
language,
> but the continuation of a language spoken their by people who had
> arrived 500 years earlier. When I had a conversation with him about
> that some time ago he stressed that there is no East Germanic
> influence on Scandinavian languages.
>

>  Einar;  Thanks for a interesting link.

Dirk, you know very well that linguists and etymologists do not
always agree. Very often they do not.
Are you here assuming that we know what kind of language the Heruli
spoke?
Let me remind you that even if Icelandic society is a mix of Celts
and Scandinavians then a very small portion of the language can be
traced to Celtic speaking peoples. Mostly names and place-names. I
think we should be careful here with interpretations.

I do not remember were I read that there were great changes in
Scandinavian languages in the 6th century. I have been taking a look
at etymological wordbooks recently. Could have been there.

Bless Einar.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!