[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruli in the East

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 11 19:56:05 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:

   Einar; Hæ George. It is no myth. It might be true. The link is
established and mentioned(as a very possible one) in many etymolgical
wordbooks like the Icelandic etymological wordbook,Old Norse wordbook
(in German) Jan de Vries. 1962. I recommend taking a look at Jan de
Vries. I do not remember the etymology. I do not have the books here.
Maybe someone else can help you further.

  Bless Einar*****************

> --- Oskar Andersson <o.andersson at g...> wrote:
> > I am not sure that we have to have immigration to
> > make this change in culture.
> > If there indeed was a Herul migration to Lake
> > Mälaren region, how come they
> > influenced it so much? Did people accept their
> > authority or were they so many
> > in numbers that they could have gained control over
> > the region?
> > Personally I just find it very hard to accept this
> > theory of Herul immigration
> > because I don't find the evidence conclusive enough.
>
> *****GK: As someone not familiar with Scandinavian
> languages except via dictionaries and/or kind helping
> souls, may I be allowed to ask a peripheral question?
> I have once read that the title "Jarl" ["Earl" (Eng.)]
> was due to the Heruli and could be used as an argument
> for their influence in the North. Is this true or a
> myth?******

> http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search