[gothic-l] Re: Solidi

troels_brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Sun Jan 13 02:08:42 UTC 2002

Dirk,

As I from the beginning stated: Now we are in an area, where I know
you are the expert. I have no knowledge about the facts, but I read
the sources you refer to when available to me.

I agree that the interpretations of Fagerlie are untenable and want
(as already mentioned Thursday) to keep the interpretations out of
the discussion for the moment, but this does not consequentially make
her registrations of the solidi wrong (she specificly refers to
identical dies).

First you told us, that all the solidi in Scandinavia were Byzantine
and you referred to Fagerlie as source yourself. You also told that
the mint stamp was easy to decide from the coins. I mentioned the age
of the source (30 years).

Later you referred to a website stating that all golden Byzantine
solidi were from the mint of Constantinople, and you confirmed this,
when I asked to be sure. You emphasized that coins under Theodoric
also were made at Italian mints in the names of Anastasius and
Justin, but in the same letter you stated that the coins in
Scandinavia did not come from Italy (MSG 5485 - and earlier 5326).

Friday Tore provided us with the conclusions of Fagerlie. There I
read her stating that an increasing number of the solidi in
Scandinavia were from the Italian mints moving from Leo I to Justin
until the stream of gold totally ceased under Justinian.

Then you brought up another source critisizing the interpretations of
Fagerlie - but you did only mention a single change of the basical
facts.

Where did I go wrong? Are your facts wrong, or do you "only" change
your source?

Troels

http://w1.855.telia.com/~u85528681/Fagerlie/fagerlieconclus/default.ht

> > 9 pages.
> >
> > I think these 9 pages can bring some order into our debate.
> >
> > Tore
>

> Tore,
>
> Fagerlie's book which appeared in the 1960s is unfortunately based
on
> outdated historical and archaeological sources, which not only
> influenced, but even drove her interpretations. She linked sporadic
> finds to contacts for which there is no evidence and which are not
> likely. For example, seeking to link a Leontius coin of Antioch to
> the Ostrogoths is highly contrived and not believable. If you read
> modern literature on this field you will find that these
> interpretations are no longer accepted. The leading expert on
> Ostrogothic (and late Roman) coinage M. Metlich stated that
> Fagerlie's interpretations are untenable. Her book should not be
used
> to bring order to this discussion, unfortunately.
>
> Dirk

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!