[gothic-l] _The Origin of Rus_ III

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sat Jan 12 16:00:57 UTC 2002

Underneath there is a suggestion that there
has been a suggestion of a link between
Dr. Soderlind and Professor Pritsak.
In my opinion there is none except that
both are dealing with Gothic/Eruli
influence. This is made in different
ways and need not necessarily be
interlinked. I have presented the basics
of Volume 1 by Professor Pritsak.

If there is an interest why not check out the
archives to see that there has been an extensive
discussion on the importance of Professor
Pritsak's theses on the influence of migration
myths and sagas of Old Norse literature.
Should you be interested I advise you to
take a look because there is no reason in my
opinion to repeat these contributions here.

Am sure that there might be different views on
these theories as there is on concerning the
origin of the Goths.

Recently I have presented on the list a number
of recent works that do not take Wolfram's
and Heather's theories for granted.

Bertil Haggman

> Just to put things back into perspective here.
> It is absolutely true that there is much of interest
> in Pritsak to students of things Gothic, Scandinavian
> et sim. Nevertheless: (1) There is absolutely nothing
> in him to indicate that he supports the theory of "a
> Second Great Gothic Kingdom in the East". (2) While he
> has gathered a lot of facts on Scandinavian, East
> Germanic etc. matters he is at his best and most
> original when analyzing the relations of East and West
> in the context of his Turkological competence. He
> frequently relies on older scholarship in his
> constructions. For instance as to the Heruli:
> practically everything that Pritsak puts forth and
> embroiders on is ultimately based on the book by
> Niels Lukman: "Skjoldunge und Skilfinge: Hunnen und
> Heruler-koenige in Ordnordischer Ueverlieferung"
> (Copenhagen, 1943).

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!