[gothic-l] _The Origin of Rus_ III

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 12 14:09:36 UTC 2002

--- Bertil Haggman <mvk575b at tninet.se> wrote:
> Pleased to add another installment to my series on
> _The Origin of Rus_. The fact that Professor
> Pritsak is 82 years old does of course not
> preclude the publication of further volumes
> of his work (Vol. 2 - 6).

******GK: It suggests nothing at all either way and
was mentioned in passing in connection with Pritsak's
retirement from Harvard and return to his pristine
Turkologic interests.*****

>(BH) At the end of the 1990s in connection with
> the celebration of Ukrainian Mazepist exiles
> in southen Sweden during the 18th century
> I had the opportunity to converse with a
> Ukrainian bishop in the west, who was present.
> According to him there was interest in publishing
> the material Pritsak had available of the five
> remaining volumes. It took however some work
> to complete the manuscripts. Just to clear up this
> point.

*****GK: I certainly hope this comes to pass. Pritsak
put in a lot of work on his project and there would be
much valuable material for historians there.******

>(BH) The first volume of _The Origin of Rus_ has much
> pertinent to East Germanic and Gothic/Erulic
> tradition. It is divided into six parts:/etc../

****GK: Just to put things back into perspective here.
It is absolutely true that there is much of interest
in Pritsak to students of things Gothic, Scandinavian
et sim. Nevertheless: (1) There is absolutely nothing
in him to indicate that he supports the theory of "a
Second Great Gothic Kingdom in the East". (2) While he
has gathered a lot of facts on Scandinavian, East
Germanic etc. matters he is at his best and most
original when analyzing the relations of East and West
in the context of his Turkological competence. He
frequently relies on older scholarship in his
constructions. For instance as to the Heruli:
practically everything that Pritsak puts forth and
embroiders on is ultimately based on the book by
Niels Lukman: "Skjoldunge und Skilfinge: Hunnen und
Heruler-koenige in Ordnordischer Ueverlieferung"
(Copenhagen, 1943).*******

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!