[gothic-l] _The Origin of Rus_ III

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sat Jan 12 09:15:12 UTC 2002

Pleased to add another installment to my series on
_The Origin of Rus_. The fact that Professor
Pritsak is 82 years old does of course not
preclude the publication of further volumes
of his work (Vol. 2 - 6).

At the end of the 1990s in connection with
the celebration of Ukrainian Mazepist exiles
in southen Sweden during the 18th century
I had the opportunity to converse with a
Ukrainian bishop in the west, who was present.
According to him there was interest in publishing
the material Pritsak had available of the five
remaining volumes. It took however some work
to complete the manuscripts. Just to clear up this
point.

The first volume of _The Origin of Rus_ has much
pertinent to East Germanic and Gothic/Erulic
tradition. It is divided into six parts:

General Introduction
Poetry and Myth as Historical Sources (very important)
The Runic Inscriptions
The Laws as a Historical Source
Especially interesting for comparative studies
is of course Part 5 on the Old Icelandic Geographic Literature.
with remarks on Wendland, Reidhgotaland and
Hunaland. Finally in Part 6 there is much of interest
concerning Gothic matters in the Danish and Icelandic
Chronicles and Annals.

Chapter 3 'Introduction to Volumes One and Two:
The Cultural Setting in the East'

Her is an important section on the contacts between
the Goths and Eruli (also other Germanic peoples) and
the steppe peoples.

Of importance is also Chapter 5 dealing with Eastern
European Names in Eddaic Poetry where there is an
interesting discussion of of Goths, Gothia (Gothjod) and the
Huns.

The Helgi Cycle and the Ylfingar (Chapter 6) is of course of
interest in relation to the Goths/Eruli.

On the transposition of history into epic there is a highly
interesting commentary on 'The Battle of the Goths and the Huns'.

The Poetry of the Skalds (Chapter 13) is also of interest.

Gothically/Erulically

Bertil

> Pritsak retired from Harvard in 1989 (He is
> now 82 years old). After Ukraine regained its
> independence, he moved there and became the head of
> the Oriental Institute of the Ukrainian Academy of
> Sciences.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!