[gothic-l] The Realm of the Rus

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Jan 11 21:14:46 UTC 2002

Pleased to provide the contents of Stefan Soederlind's essay
"The Realm of the Rus".

Introduction
I The Origin of the Name Rus
I.1 The Early Hypotheses
I.2 The Scandinavian Evidence in Byzantine and Old High German
Sources.
I.3 The Normanist and Anti-Normanist Hypotheses
I.4 Thomsen's (1877) Contribution
I.4.1 The Origin of ruotsi and rus in Finnish and Russian
I.4.2 In Arabic, Greek and Hungarian
I.4.3 In West European Languages
I.4.4 The Origin of the Names of the Varangians and the Kolbjazi
I.5 Critical Examination of Thomsen's 1877 Roths-hypothesis
I.6 The Gothic Hypothesis
I.7 The Neo-Anti-Normanists and the Neo-Normanists
I.8 The International Symposium on Varangian Problems in 1968
I.8.1 Sakolskij's Contribution
I.8.2 The River-Name Hypothesis
I.8.3  The Swedish Names of the Dniepr Rapids
I.8.4 The Derivation of the Name Rus - An Unsolved Problem.
I.8.5 Obolensky's Contribution
I.9 Recent Contributions from Scandinavian Philological Research
I.10 Scandinavian Philological Research on North and East
European Place names: An Overview

II Ethnic Characteristics of the Goths and Rus in Russia
II.1 Account by the Byzantine Greeks
II.2 Accounts by the Arabs
II.3 Accounts by Ibn Fadlan and Ibn Rusteh
II.4 The Attacks on Constantinople and on the Caspian Sea Area
II.5 Ethnic Information in the Nestor Chronicle and Other Sources
II.6 Recent Ethnic Hypothesis on the Origin of the Names for the Vikings

III. Ethnic, Linguistic and Historical Evidence for the Gothic Origin
of the Kingdom of the Rus
III.1 The Red-Blond-People Hypothesis
III.2 Philological Evidence in Russian, Greek and Arabic
III.3 Evidence from Other European Languages
III.4 The Rise of the Ethnic Name Rus among the Slavs.
III.5 The Origin of Other Terms for Scandinavians in the East
III.6 Historical Evidence

Conclusion

Maps

Notes