[gothic-l] Digest Number 485

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Mon Jan 14 11:55:08 UTC 2002

On 14 Jan 2002, at 0:06, Ingemar Nordgren wrote:

> Theoretically what you say is correct but there is more to gain from
> what we really know. Read e.g. Wolframs lecture "Origo et religio"
> which summarizes quite well the connection between Gaut and the Asir
> inclusive Óðinn. Add also his beleive the Tervingi worshipped
> Tiwaz/Týr. Also Ingr is suggested - the predecessor of Frejr.
> Ermanarich's  death is the death of an odinistic king. The only known
> cult that had guði and guðja, like with the Goths, is the cult of
> Frejr/Freja (earlier Ingr/Ingunar).Et c., et c. Still technically you
> are right as far as the written sources specially about the Goths
> concerns.

Dear Ingemar,
as a pupil and long-time cooperator of Wolfram, who supervised
both my doctoral thesis and my habilitation, I am perfectly
acquainted with every line he wrote during the last thirty years.
That does not mean that I follow him in everything and I think he
undervalues the extent to which the burial customs of the Goths
differ from their neighbours and Scandinavia. Of course  I know that
Gautr is one of the more seldom connotations of Odin, but "Gaut",
Gothus, can simply mean "Spreader (of semen)" i.e. man, or
people of the river. There is no indication of an actual worship of
either Odin or Tiwas or Ingr. I appreciate that you concede that I
am technically right about the written sources.
Kind regards
                     Andreas
Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich