[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruli in the East

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 14 20:58:55 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "einarbirg" <einarbirg at y...> wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > > >

> > To my knowledge there were language changes in Scandinavia
> happening
> > at a rather big scale in the sixth century. This info I have from
> > some posts on Germ or Gothic-L.
> > If these changes in language were indeed happening in Scandinavia
> in
> > the sixth century on some reasonably big scale then it is normal
> > assume that one of the explanations could be because of a
> substantial
> > influx of newcomers. That is maybe the Heruli.
>

> We should defer this question to a linguist. Here is the article by
> Oesten Dahl on the origin of Scandinavian languages.
> http://www.ling.su.se/staff/oesten/papers/Theorigin.pdf
>
> On page 12 or so he investigates the Upplandic language of the 6th
> century concluding that it was in no sense an East Germanic
language,
> but the continuation of a language spoken their by people who had
> arrived 500 years earlier. When I had a conversation with him about
> that some time ago he stressed that there is no East Germanic
> influence on Scandinavian languages.
>
>   ******Hæ Dirk.  Thanks for this very interesting link you
provided for all of us. See above and in your letter no 5551.
This linguist actually mentions the Heruli in a interesting
connection in this article
I think that all members that want to promote the idea of the Heruli
migrating to the North (or are against the idea) should read what
Osten Dahl has to say. And you who have a interest in runic
inscriptions and linguistics in general.
And I mean;Read it carefully. Everything.

Dahl does not mention what you quote him saying in such a way but as
you have talked with him personally then I have no objections.
But I doubt that there is NO influence. I think that this matter is a
little bit more complicated and just reading his paper here; The
origin of the Scandinavian languages, gives me the impression that he
would have possibly expressed himself a little bit differently or
made some reservations if he were expressing himself in a scientific
paper/article than in a privat conversation.
My impression from reading this article would make me think that he
would not make such a firm statement without any reservations.

Another thing is that many of his ideas seem to be opposite the
traditional view to a considerable extent. He is challenging accepted
views.And very much so.

On page 8 he talks about the Heruli.
Under paragraff 10(small letters)
He seems to accept that  the older Futhark inscriptions were created
by peripathetic(should be;peripatetic) scribes of Heruli origin and
uses this for giving strong support to his conclusions.

Talking about scribes. Just reminds my of Icelandic scribes(members
of Ice. chieftainly families) then having their ancestry in the East
Scand. chieftainly families that had their ancestry in the Heruli
chieftainly families.

On page 2 he says that he will argue that,Quote; the Common Nordic
hypothesis is neither plausible given what we know about the language
and language change in general nor supported by the linguistic data
at hand.
Einar;Well,well not supported. Just what I had guessed.

On page 12 he talks about the Mjöbro stone and says; In particular,
we may note similarities with Gothic..............................

He talks of a "prestige dialect" connected to the ruling classes in
Scandinavia.Page 13 and other places.

He talkes about a mobile elité(page 14)which is VERY supportive of
Barði´s theories and later on the same page says that the description
of the Scandinavian tongue as Danish tongue,even in Iceland  was
because of Danish overlordship in the North.
All VERY,VERY supportive of Barði´s theories.

Osten Dahl´s article is very professional and he supports his theory
with good arguments.
It seems to me that linguists have so far taken to many things for
granted in a uncritical way about the development and origin of
Scandinavian languages.That was just what I had previously suspected.

This article can be seen as supportive of the idea that the Heruli
moved to Scandinavia and supportive too of the idea that some of
their descendants moved to Iceland later on.

Bless Bless Einar.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!