[gothic-l] Accepting Elias Wessens Conclusion

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Jan 16 09:05:45 UTC 2002

The recent book by Kaliff offers som good insight into
the archaelogical finds and the relations between Goths
and South Scandinavia on all sides of the Baltic Sea.
I would have to refer you to that book.

I don't think designating the goths as "thugs" is very helpful.

Would have to refer you to the RLK book. The title was put on this list
by me in some bibliographical notes of January 11, 2002. I
apologize for being too busy right now to find it for you, but I
am sure you can discover it in the archives.

Bertil Haggman

> How do they reconcile this with the archaeological evidence which
> shows that the material culture of the Wielbark-Goths and people in
> Scandinavia was very different, causing all major archaeologist to
> reject an Scandinavian origin of the Goths?
> What is the title of that book, please?

> I think it is important to fill this high-flying term 'regnum
> Ostrogotorum' with some flesh. It likely meant that a 'bunch of
> Gothic (not Ostrogothic) thugs' appeared in these areas from time to
> time to extort tributes.
>
> What does this 'myths' say exactly? What is its source and name? This
> subordination, does it include tribute payments, referal of important
> decision to the Gothic king? How long would it take for Gothic envoys
> to travel from the region north of the Black Sea to Scandinavia to
> enforce this subordination?

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_WCYWA/3XkDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM