[gothic-l] Accepting Elias Wessens Conclusion

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Jan 16 10:26:04 UTC 2002

If I remember correctly the term "thug" comes from the
Indian "thugee", throatcutters who were among
the early revolters against British colonialism.
So the term is 19th century and hardly appropriate
in connection with early European history. Are you
inferring that the Goths used throatcutting in their
"extortionist behaviour"?

Bertil Haggman

I used this term to emphasise the qualitative difference to the
name 'regnum Ostrogotorum' which you used and which I think is not
historically correct. Also I put the term in apostrophs to mark its
unofficial nature. I agree, 'warrior' sounds better, but what it
often came down to is the extortionist behaviour by thugs.

The title seems to be "Gudaträd och västgötska skottkungar - Sveriges
bysantinska arv"

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!