[gothic-l] Regnum Ostrogotorm Estimated

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Thu Jan 17 14:08:57 UTC 2002

On 17 Jan 2002, at 11:52, Bertil Haggman wrote:

> There is of course no way to exactly define the
> borders of Regnum Ostrogotorum but these
> borders can be estimated in an approximate
> way.

Dear Bertil,
this sentence is the only one of your message that I could share.
The way to come to an estimate is of course to follow Jordanes,
Getica 116, and there is an abundance of serious literature on this
difficult passage. None of those, however dream of including the
Elbe, the Burgunid, the Marcomanni, and so on. People and
regions Jordanes does not name may be ruled out completely.
Jordanes expressly states that the Goth divided after the death of
Ostrogotha, so even the Tervingi (and the Taifali) are ruled out. As
so often, wishful thinking is no substitute for adhering to a close
analysis of the sources.
Yopu may find such an analysis in several places. Still
fundamental are:

Irma Korkannen, The Peoples of Hermanaric.Jordanes, Getica 116.
Annales Academiae Scientiarum Fennicae. Ser.B, vol.187.
Helsinki 1975

Gottfried Schramm, Die nordöstlichen Eroberungen der
Rußlandgoten (Merens, Mordens und andere Völkernamen bei
Jordanes, Getica XXIII 116). Frühmittelalterliche Studien 8(1974)
pp.1-14

You will find a critical appaisal of the actual extent and structure of
Ermanaric's realm in Wolfram, Die Goten, 95-98, and in

Bernhard Tönnies, Die Amalertradition in den Quellen zur
Geschichte der Ostgoten. Beiträge zur Altertumswissenschaft 8.
Hildesheim, Zürich, New York 1989, pp.45-47.

By the way, the Rosomoni are no Rosolani and no Roxolani, and
certainly no Slavs. Sarus is an Iranic or Alanic name and means
"chief". Most people suppose they were Eruli or Alans. "Gens
infida" can mean that  they were simply the stirps regia of one
subjected people not named. In that case Rosomoni are the
members of this clan (of Alanic or Erulic descent), not a people.

Kind regards
              Andreas
Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich