[gothic-l] Re: Scandinavian-Gothic-Eruli Links

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jan 18 15:59:29 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> An interesting point in the RLK book is the question
> of the Gautic heraldic lion and its possible links to
> the East Roman lions. With the settlement of Eruli
> in south Scandinavia in the view of Procopius
> it is possible that the Goeta lion had its roots in
> the culture where this remigrating people lived.

When and where is this Gautic heralic lion first attested? Also, what
are the East Roman lions? Some kind of emblem on seals or so? Lions
are, together with leopards and eagles among the most common heraldic
animals. In fact the Ostrogoths used Eagles and lions and of course
the Roman wolf on their coins.

Theoderic introduced a coinage that showed the she-wolf with Romulus
and Remus (20-nummi) and a sitting eagle on a different denomination
(40-nummi). Another series has two eagles and a fig-tree. Curiously,
Baduila adopted the lion on some of his rarest small copper
denominations. (I have a rare 2.5 nummi piece with the walking lion
and the bust of Baduila.) Theoderic also introduced the legend 'Roma
Invicta' on his coinage! An interesting move, isn't it?

Dirk