[gothic-l] Recommendation

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Fri Jan 18 17:40:06 UTC 2002

Hi,

without wanting to start a frutiless debate over which
authors to prefer over the other, I just wanted to say
that the book from Hermodsson has been mentioned
and rejected previously on this list because of its not-
updated presentation of the history of Goths. Personally
I have not read the book - but I trust Tore's review of it
and I was "upset" by the erroneous views presented here
on the list from it.

I am not too familiar with all the books below, but Ingemar's
is interesting and Tacitus is a must - as is Jordanes' Getica.

Most scholars on this list would agree on Heather's and Wolfram's
authority on the subject and I trust you'd learn a lot from reading
them too. They are the most comprehensive!

Just as Bertil has said there are many other authors with
interesting opinions to take into consideration (like Wessén, Svennung,
Wenskus, et cetera) but there's no need to deny the authority that
both above mentioned possess on the subject and reject their
authorities just because they don't comply with the idea of a
Scandinavian origin!
Ingemar's book deals with some connections of the Goths with
Scandinavia and it is definitely worth studying.

Best,
Oskar

PS: Did this guy ever ask for a book recommendation anyway? :)