[gothic-l] Recommendation

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Jan 18 17:43:30 UTC 2002

Oskar,

It may well be that some on the list reject Professor
Lars Hermodssons book but so far I have only
seen critical comments from Tore. Many, including
you, have not read the book and maybe you should
do that before passing judgement.

Tore has not presented a "review" only a view
but if he is prepared to do a thorough review
of the book on the list we can discuss that review.

I am only presenting, so that there is not a
misunderstanding, modern books published
on the Goths other than Wolfram amd Heather.
Personally I don't think they have some kind
of "authority".

"This guy" is a long standing member of the Gothic-L
list and as far as I understand other recommendations were
made.

Gothically

Bertil

without wanting to start a frutiless debate over which
authors to prefer over the other, I just wanted to say
that the book from Hermodsson has been mentioned
and rejected previously on this list because of its not-
updated presentation of the history of Goths. Personally
I have not read the book - but I trust Tore's review of it
and I was "upset" by the erroneous views presented here
on the list from it.

I am not too familiar with all the books below, but Ingemar's
is interesting and Tacitus is a must - as is Jordanes' Getica.

Most scholars on this list would agree on Heather's and Wolfram's
authority on the subject and I trust you'd learn a lot from reading
them too. They are the most comprehensive!

Just as Bertil has said there are many other authors with
interesting opinions to take into consideration (like Wessén, Svennung,
Wenskus, et cetera) but there's no need to deny the authority that
both above mentioned possess on the subject and reject their
authorities just because they don't comply with the idea of a
Scandinavian origin!
Ingemar's book deals with some connections of the Goths with
Scandinavia and it is definitely worth studying.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM