[gothic-l] Recommendation

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Sun Jan 20 05:10:08 UTC 2002

Hi,

> Oskar,
>
> It may well be that some on the list reject Professor
> Lars Hermodssons book but so far I have only
> seen critical comments from Tore. Many, including
> you, have not read the book and maybe you should
> do that before passing judgement.

It is SUFFICIENT to note from Tore's "views" that Hermodsson
does not state any references, talks about Västgoter and Östgoter
from about 275 and that it is a popular account for those who
never heard about Goths (although it should be rejected as such since
it is incorrect - even a popular account for people unfamiliar with the
history of Goths should be correct in its sources and a serious study).
This view invalidates any serious approach to Hermodsson since
I do not appreciate him as an authority on the matter with serious research
backing up his "popular account;" hence my animosity.

> Tore has not presented a "review" only a view
> but if he is prepared to do a thorough review
> of the book on the list we can discuss that review.
>
> I am only presenting, so that there is not a
> misunderstanding, modern books published
> on the Goths other than Wolfram amd Heather.
> Personally I don't think they have some kind
> of "authority".

They provide critical illumination of the history of the Goths,
with sources stated, etc. something that Hermodsson hasn't
provided as Tore CLEARLY stated. Everyone without source
references should be critically examined, to say the least.
Hermodsson seems to be among those who should be rejected.

> "This guy" is a long standing member of the Gothic-L
> list and as far as I understand other recommendations were
> made.

It arose from a misunderstanding from me, I am sorry about that.

> Gothically
>
> Bertil

Best regards,
Oskar