[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruls and Scandinavian Southeast Europe Contacts

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 18 17:54:02 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Einar,
>
> The evidence has been presented on the list for
> years both by linguists and historians. The inter-
> pretation of a number of runestones in Sweden
> and Norway have been that the word erilaR,
> which is relatively common on Scandinavian
> runestones, is taken to mean Eruli/Erul. I can
> recommend several articles by Martin on the
> origin of the name of the people Eruli and on
> the Eruli in one of the leading encyclopedias
> on Germanic study.

  ***** Hæ Bertil. My understanding must be somehow limited but  I
did not ask about the word erilaR nor any runestones.
I was asking about this claim made by these authors in my letter 5640
to you were you said: " Certain parts of the Edda according to these
reaserches, had been directly translated from Gothic to Icelandic".

If you are saying that this is accepted by linguists etc, then I am
very happy. I have just never heard it before. Nor seen it in writing.
But my question would be as before: Why do they say that?
This is of course very important for obvious reasons.

> I think the reasons for the claim concerning the
> inheritance laws of Vaerend being influenced
> by the Eruli are presented in my article. Not long
> ago this subject was also discussed on the list so
> what I can do is recommend you to check the
> archives and I am sure von Friesen is available
> on Iceland.

 *** Einar; Actually, Von Friesens writings about that subject are
not avilable up here and I will read your article again. I must have
missed the argumentation. I guess I should read more slowly. I seem
to have missed the discussion about this subject too so it must have
happened before last autumn.

> I think the Vaerend example fits well with Barthi.

*** Einar; Yes,but there have to be some substance behind the claims
of Von Friesen otherwise such claims are not worth much. I will try
to find out. This is both interesting and important so I thank you
very much for bringing this to my attention.

  Bless Einar.