[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruls and Scandinavian Southeast Europe Contacts

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 18 18:08:59 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> > Einar,
> >

> The word erila and irila appears 7 or 8 times on rune-stones and
> other implements in Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Its most likely
> meaning is believed to be 'free man, or noble man'. Note it is also
> present in such names like 'Erlwin', 'Erlfried' etc.. The name
Eruli
> may be linked to the 'erila' name in the sense that it may derive
> from the same root and general meaning, but the inscriptions
probably
> don't refer to Heruls, but to the name or title of 'free man'. This
> would also be underscored by the very wide geographical
distribution
> of the inscriptions.

   **** Einar, Thanks Dirk for your comments.

The Icelandic etymological Wordbook and Old Norse etymological
wordbook by Jan de Vries do not agree with you. And numerous other
scholars seem to think that there are very probably a link.

You say:probably not.
Who says so?

And the last sentence(above)"....underscored.... etc....."
No it does not underscore it. It supports it.

And the information the linguist gave us which can be seen through
the link you provided us with to his article(letter 5551)supports the
hypothesis too that there is a connection between these words.
It seems to be widely accepted that there is a very possible link so
please state your sources.

And the distribution is just within Scandinavia which supports it too
and was to be expected.
So I do not understand your argumentation.

   Bless bless Einar.

> Dirk

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/1dkfKB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM