[gothic-l] Ermanrik's Regnum Ostrogotorum

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sun Jan 20 17:53:39 UTC 2002

Let me quote Mierow (not the net edition, but a copy
of the original):

"Among the tribes he conquered were the Golthe-
scytha..." etc. I think it needs much to convince
anybody that Mierow is incorrect than a mere
mentioning of a net address.

What is it about "imperial quest"? Or the time frame,
where did it start, where did it end? Are you suggesting
that Golthescytha and others were first and the came
others? Fantasy or not I am not claiming to come
"close to historical truth". Why is the statement of
Jordanes "ridiculous"? _Getica_ is one of our main
sources, which doesn't mean that his statements
cannot be challenged, however.

There is in my opinion no description of Germania
in section 10 of _Getica_. What is clear to
you as rainwater is just your interpretation. And was
the case not the question of Regnum Ostrogothorum and its
western limits? Certainly these deductions of yours do
not give enough detailed information to draw any
conclusions.

Bertil Haggman

> As to the "a" I prefer the professional
> opinion of first class linguists posting on
> cybalist at yahoogroups.com to the views of "others". In
> any case it doesn't really matter with respect to the
> issue, since it is  improbable in the highest degree
> that Hermanaric would have begun his "imperial quest"
> with the "subjugation" of these arctoi gentes, located
> many hundreds of kilometers to the north of him, and
> beyond the Slavs and Balts. This is pure fantasy, on a
> par with the ridiculous statement that he dominated
> "all the nations of Germania and Scythia".

> >(BH) 10-11 and 17 in the Mierow translation has no
> > description of Germania as far as I can see.
>
> (Getica 10)"But now let me speak briefly as I
> can concerning the island of Britain, which is
> situated in the bosom of Ocean between Spain, Gaul and
> Germany."= Germany neighbours on Gaul. (Getica
> 11):"Its long doubled side faces Gaul and Germany"=
> confirms the above. No surprises since Jordanes is not
> providing esoteric information but relying on the
> prior work of Greek and Latin authors. Conclusion: for
> Jordanes as for them Germany begins at the Rhine,
> which is where Gaul ends.
> (Getica 17):"the river Vistula, which rises in the
> Sarmatian mountains and flows through its triple mouth
> into the northern Ocean in sight of Scandza,
> separating Germany and Scythia."= The Vistula is the
> boundary between Germania and Scythia. Clear as
> rainwater.
>
> If Germany begins at the Rhine and ends at
> the Vistula then it contains the territory in between.
> Elementary hermeneutics. See above.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!