[gothic-l] Ermanrik's Regnum Ostrogotorum

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 21 04:25:34 UTC 2002

--- Bertil Haggman <mvk575b at tninet.se> wrote:
> Let me quote Mierow (not the net edition, but a copy
> of the original):

*****GK: You should learn to read Latin before getting
involved in discussions about the meaning of Jordanes'
text.*****

> What is it about "imperial quest"? Or the time
> frame,
> where did it start, where did it end?

*****GK: It's difficult to help someone who forgets
dates mentioned only a couple of days ago. The
standard notion is 350-370 AD which might be stretched
to 345-375 AD. In Jordanes' imagination it "ended"
with the death of Hermanaric at the age of 110. So we
have this remarkable individual entering on a process
of empire-building at the age of 80 or so (if one
believes Jordanes).******

 Are you
> suggesting
> that Golthescytha and others were first and the came
> others?

*****GK: It's impossible to carry on a discussion with
someone who doesn't even understand the simplest
texts. It is not ME who is suggesting the above, but
JORDANES. He is the author of the sequences in Getica,
not I.Get it? Probably not...*****

 Fantasy or not I am not claiming to come
> "close to historical truth". Why is the statement of
> Jordanes "ridiculous"?

*****GK: How many times does one have to repeat that
the claim that Hermanaric dominated "ALL the nations
of Germania and Scythia" in the period in question is
completely at variance with what we know of the
epoch's history? The standard definition of
"ridiculous" is= "unworthy of serious consideration;
absurd". What Jordanes claims is precisely that. Get
it?******

 > There is in my opinion no description of Germania
> in section 10 of _Getica_.

*****GK: There are mentions of Germania which are
unambiguous in context. There are references to other
geographers, Greek and Latin, on whom Jordanes relied.
You probably if not certainly don't know any of them.
Take Pomponius Mela for instance. Have you read his
work? (Purely rhetorical question. Of course you
haven't).Or Strabo, or Ptolemy? They are Jordanes'
AUTHORITIES. Do you understand the meaning of this
word? It means that on crucial issues of geographical
identifications he FOLLOWS them, unless the contrary
is clearly stated. That Germania begins (in the
West)at the Rhine is not an issue, is not up for
discussion, is not an "opinion". It is an elementary
fact. If you don't grasp this your arguments are
meaningless. *****

 What is clear to
> you as rainwater is just your interpretation. And
> was
> the case not the question of Regnum Ostrogothorum
> and its
> western limits? Certainly these deductions of yours
> do
> not give enough detailed information to draw any
> conclusions.

******GK: If Jordanes' statement that the Vistula r.
is the boundary between Germany and Scythia is not
clear as rainwater to you, then further discussion is
a complete waste of time.*******