[gothic-l] Re: The extent of Ermanarik's realm

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jan 21 10:10:47 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >on of Germania as far as I can see.
> >
> >*****GK:(Getica 10):"But now let me speak briefly as I
> >can concerning the island of Britain, which is
> >situated in the bosom of Ocean between Spain, Gaul and
> >Germany."= Germany neighbours on Gaul. (Getica
> >11):"Its long doubled side faces Gaul and Germany"=
> >confirms the above. No surprises since Jordanes is not
> >providing esoteric information but relying on the
> >prior work of Greek and Latin authors. Conclusion: for
> >Jordanes as for them Germany begins at the Rhine,
> >which is where Gaul ends.
>

> >(Getica 17):"the river Vistula, which rises in the
> >Sarmatian mountains and flows through its triple mouth
> >into the northern Ocean in sight of Scandza,
> >separating Germany and Scythia."= The Vistula is the
> >boundary between Germania and Scythia. Clear as
> >rainwater.******
>

> This is very interesting.
> The only Scandinavian land that can be seen from the mouth of the
> river Vistula is Gotland.

Tore,

I have been to Danzig several times, but Gotland cannot be seen from
there at all, not even in the best of weather. The distance must be
around 300 km, meaning that it is far behind the curvature of the
earth to be seen at such a distance.

> The cloud formations over Gotland were are wellknow landmark from
the
> Danziger Bucht.

Clouds... maybe, but I don't think that Jordanes meant clouds, but
that he was just misinformed about the geographic locations in that
area.

Dirk