[gothic-l] Re: The extent of Ermanarik's realm

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Mon Jan 21 10:37:58 UTC 2002

>tula is Gotland.
>

>Tore,
>
>I have been to Danzig several times, but Gotland cannot be seen from
>there at all, not even in the best of weather. The distance must be
>around 300 km, meaning that it is far behind the curvature of the
>earth to be seen at such a distance.
>

>>  The cloud formations over Gotland were are wellknow landmark from
>the
>>  Danziger Bucht.
>

>Clouds... maybe, but I don't think that Jordanes meant clouds, but
>that he was just misinformed about the geographic locations in that
>area.
>
>Dirk
>  > --

Dirk,
This is a common knowledge among sailors fishermen etc. that when you
are outside the Vistula river they say "we can now see Gotland and
steer there".

The same knowledge they had during the Migration period.

If you are a sailor you should know that.

Tore

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!