[gothic-l] Re: The extent of Ermanarik's realm

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jan 21 11:09:49 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >tula is Gotland.
> >

> >Tore,
> >
> >I have been to Danzig several times, but Gotland cannot be seen
from
> >there at all, not even in the best of weather. The distance must be
> >around 300 km, meaning that it is far behind the curvature of the
> >earth to be seen at such a distance.
> >

> >>  The cloud formations over Gotland were are wellknow landmark
from
> >the
> >>  Danziger Bucht.
> >

> >Clouds... maybe, but I don't think that Jordanes meant clouds, but
> >that he was just misinformed about the geographic locations in that
> >area.
> >
> >Dirk
> >  > --
> >

> Dirk,
> This is a common knowledge among sailors fishermen etc. that when
you
> are outside the Vistula river they say "we can now see Gotland and
> steer there".
>
> The same knowledge they had during the Migration period.
>
> If you are a sailor you should know that.
>
> Tore
> --

Tore,

I am not a sailor. I just know that you can't see Gotland from the
Vistula mounth, but cloud formations maybe a different matter.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fast. - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4dkfKB/6XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM