[gothic-l] Recommendation

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Tue Jan 22 12:47:59 UTC 2002

Hi Bertil,

thanks for your reply.

Well, I can see some errors in the text provided.
Goths attacked Histria in 238 [modern port Constanta]
and that was the first encounter, I think, if none is recorded
earlier (not to my knowledge). If Hermodsson does not know of the battle
outside Abrittus in June, 251 [On the outskirts of the modren Bulgarian
town Razgrad] he should not have started to write a book
on Goths at all! To use the term "Västgoter" this early in history
is anachronistic, as debated on this list previously.

Trajan's Dacia was "established" after the 2econd war in
105-106. They withdrew in 271 ["Aurelian Withdrawal"].
This gives us 165 years of Roman domination of Dacia, and
saying "close to 200 hundred years" is a stupid and erroneous
generalisation when we are dealing with such numbers!

These things make me feel I need not read Hermodsson's book
because I won't gain anything from it but correcting stupid errors
like these.

Best,
Oskar