[gothic-l] Recommendation

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Jan 22 13:43:11 UTC 2002

Oskar,

Thank you for confirming that you haven't read Professor
Hermodsson's book. It is always a great advantage
to read first and offer criticism later.

Would you please provide a reference (page)
for your criticism of Professor Hermodsson
concerning the attack on Histria (238 AD)
and expand more exactly of what it is in the
text in _Goterna_ you are opposed to.

If I remember correctly the first war against the
Dacians was 86-90 AD. One can of course debate
if using word "naermare" 200 years is a terrible mistake,
which leads the rejection of a whole book without having
read it.

Gothically

Bertil

thanks for your reply.

Well, I can see some errors in the text provided.
Goths attacked Histria in 238 [modern port Constanta]
and that was the first encounter, I think, if none is recorded
earlier (not to my knowledge). If Hermodsson does not know of the battle
outside Abrittus in June, 251 [On the outskirts of the modren Bulgarian
town Razgrad] he should not have started to write a book
on Goths at all! To use the term "Västgoter" this early in history
is anachronistic, as debated on this list previously.

Trajan's Dacia was "established" after the 2econd war in
105-106. They withdrew in 271 ["Aurelian Withdrawal"].
This gives us 165 years of Roman domination of Dacia, and
saying "close to 200 hundred years" is a stupid and erroneous
generalisation when we are dealing with such numbers!

These things make me feel I need not read Hermodsson's book.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM