[gothic-l] Recommendation

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Jan 22 16:47:02 UTC 2002

Oskar,

Certainly it is your right to speak out
against the recommendation of Professor
Lars Hermodssons book _Goterna_.
Many reviewers have found it valuable
and I agree with them.

Yes, but what has the attack to do with
Lars Hermodsson's book? Maybe I
missed the quotes. Where they provided
by Tore?

If you don't like Professor Hermodsson's
work that's fine with me. There is no
historical truth concerning the Goths so
let everybody read whatever they want.

Here are some of the recommendations
of Professor Hermodsson in his
bibliography in the 1993 book:

Toennes Kleberg, _Silverbibeln_, third
edition, Uppsala 1981.

Lars Hermodsson, "Silverbibelns väg till
Werden", _Humanistiska Vetenskaps-
samfundets i Uppsala Aarsbok_ 1986).

Wolfram, Herwug, _History of the Goths_ (1988).

On linguistics:

Braune, Wilh., _Gotische Grammatik_, 19th edition,
Tuebingen 1981.

Stutz, Elfriede, _Gotische Literaturdenkmaeler_,
Sammlung Metzler, Stuttgart, 1966.

Thought maybe these secondary sources might
be of interest.

Gothically

Bertil

> I am opposing the recommendation of this book
> based on almost everything that you have presented
> from the book on this list and what others have
> made known to me.

> I base my criticism of it on the quotes provided ON
> THIS LIST! I find these quotes sufficient to see that Hermodsson
> wrote a book based on poor knowledge of modern studies and I
> think it is a pity that you hold on to him so dearly!

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM