[gothic-l] Recommendation

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Tue Jan 22 16:49:40 UTC 2002

Bertil,

> Oskar,
>
> Thank you for confirming that you haven't read Professor
> Hermodsson's book. It is always a great advantage
> to read first and offer criticism later.

I am opposing the recommendation of this book
based on almost everything that you have presented
from the book on this list and what others have
made known to me.

> Would you please provide a reference (page)
> for your criticism of Professor Hermodsson
> concerning the attack on Histria (238 AD)
> and expand more exactly of what it is in the
> text in _Goterna_ you are opposed to.

The attack is treated by Heather, for example,
on page 40 of his page The Goths (1998 reprinted
version)
Malcolm Todd refers to it in his book The Early Germans
on p. 150.
It is documented in Wolfram's book as well, on p. 44

If you want me to provide a page for criticism in
Hermodsson's book YOU are way OFF TRACK since you know
I have not read the book. I am criticising the quotes and
ideas of Hermodsson mentioned on this list.

> If I remember correctly the first war against the
> Dacians was 86-90 AD. One can of course debate
> if using word "naermare" 200 years is a terrible mistake,
> which leads the rejection of a whole book without having
> read it.

I can't see why you return for the same game all the time when
there's nothing to gain from it. I have told I have NOT read the
book and I base my criticism of it on the quotes provided ON
THIS LIST! I find these quotes sufficient to see that Hermodsson
wrote a book based on poor knowledge of modern studies and I
think it is a pity that you hold on to him so dearly!

> Gothically
>
> Bertil

Oskar

Access Your PC from Anywhere