[gothic-l] Re: The Gothic Name

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Jan 22 15:46:18 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> In Chapter 1 Wolfram (1988):
>
> "Does the root Gut/Gaut - which means "the one who pours
> out" - derive from the Scandinavian river that drains the
> huge Lake Vener (Wolfram obviously refers to Lake Vaenern)
> into the Kattegat, or are the Goths and Gauts the "men"
> or even the "stallions" in the sense of "seed spreaders?
> Or are the Gauts and Goths perhaps the sons of Gaut, the
> god of war, who is the leader of war bands both in Scandinavia
> and Germania? Since the Gothic tradition provides evidence
> for all of these interpretations, to select one and exclude
> the others is arbitrary. But of greater historical importance than
> etymology is the lingustic insight that the "tribal name Goths means
> the same as Gauts." So why not end the fruitless quarrels
> and "believe" Theoderic the Great, who derives his origins and those
> of his Goths from Scandinavia."
>
> Couldn't agree more about what Professor Wolfram is writing.

I really wonder if you honestly don't understand these texts or if
you do that on purpose. The unfortunate thing is that you quell any
interesting and serious debate about most aspects of Gothic history
with that. I almost fear that some people (like George?) have lost
interest in this list because of that, which would be a real shame in
my view.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fast. - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4dkfKB/6XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM