[gothic-l] Recommendation

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Wed Jan 23 11:56:43 UTC 2002

On 22 Jan 2002, at 21:02, Bertil Haggman wrote:

> Oskar,
>
> Think the statement underneath is probably
> at the center of you reasoning. Without having
> a read a book you think it is supporting "unsound
> ideas". So what is unsound ideas? Everything
> written on the Goths and their history that
> is not in accordance with the little book by
> Heather?

Dear Bertil;
to which of Peter Heather's books on the Goths do you refer? You
know there are three of them:

Peter Heather and John Matthews, The Goths in the Fourth
Century. Liverpool 1991

Peter Heather, Goths and Romans. 332-489. Oxford, Clarendon
Press 1991, 378 pages

Peter Heather, The Goths. Oxford, Malden, Blackwell Publishers,
358 pages

The first one is a paperback and mostly a bilingual edition of the
relevant sources for the fourth century, but both of the two others
are taken very seriously by the scientific community. I have my
own discussions with my friend Peter Heather and see some
points different from him, but I would advise that you write two
books of more than threehundred pages and place them with two
international renowned scientific publishing firms like Clarendon
Press and Blackwell, before you belittle Peter Heather.

Kind regards
              Andreas Schwarcz
Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich
Tel.0043/1/42-77/272-16
Fax 0043/142-77/92-72

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Full setup in 2 minutes! - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MxtVhB/2XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM