[gothic-l] Recommendation

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Jan 23 16:59:04 UTC 2002

Thank you for your interesting and as always
informative note on Heather's books. Concerning
the first it seems more in place to refer to Heather
as co-author. My references to Heather are on
the little book he wrote in a series on various
peoples in Europe (including, if I remember
correctly, there is one on the Langobards in
the same series). It is the last (undated) in your
list, I assume.

It is good to note that you don't accept Heather's
theories in the entirety.

Your assumption that I belittle Heather is not correct.
It seems, however, important to point out that
the mere mentioning of his name is not enough
to impress or indicate that he holds the historical
thruth.

Bertil Haggman

to which of Peter Heather's books on the Goths do you refer? You
know there are three of them:

Peter Heather and John Matthews, The Goths in the Fourth
Century. Liverpool 1991

Peter Heather, Goths and Romans. 332-489. Oxford, Clarendon
Press 1991, 378 pages

Peter Heather, The Goths. Oxford, Malden, Blackwell Publishers,
358 pages

The first one is a paperback and mostly a bilingual edition of the
relevant sources for the fourth century, but both of the two others
are taken very seriously by the scientific community. I have my
own discussions with my friend Peter Heather and see some
points different from him, but I would advise that you write two
books of more than threehundred pages and place them with two
international renowned scientific publishing firms like Clarendon
Press and Blackwell, before you belittle Peter Heather.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM