[gothic-l] Recommendation

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Wed Jan 23 18:20:02 UTC 2002

I used the term Westgoths since it was the
direct translation of your quote. Of course
Visigoths is the proper term, and I'd say
Visigoter would be the correct term in Swedish
and not Västgoter.

Oskar

> Well, after all who decides what is
> "unsound ideas". Throwing those phrases
> around does not mean anything if they are not
> clearly defined. That a difference in interpretations
> should be unsound is certainly not appropriate.
>
> BTW, I think the more correct term in
> English is Visigoths.
>
> In the beginning of the 1990s there was a writer
> who thought the collapse of the Soviet empire
> was "the end of history". So it is with Heather's
> little volume. The research, the scholarship and the
> debate goes on, and Heather is neither historical
> truth or the end of research on the Goths.
>
> Bertil Haggman
>

> > Examples of unsound ideas are plenty.
> > For instance, that the Westgoths manifested
> > their first appearance in 275. That there ever
> > was anything like Westgoths in 275. Those
> > are undoubtedly unsound ideas.
> >
> > The size of Heather's book doesn't reflect the
> > quality of its content at all. Ten volumes with the
> > erroneous examples above could not affect the content
> > and credibility of Heather at all. It would be folly
> > to think such...

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM