[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruli in the East-Migration period legends.

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 23 15:26:31 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Oskar Andersson" <o.andersson at g...> wrote:
> Hi,

*********Hæ Oskar.  Sorry for my late answer.

In Barthi Guthmundsson´s book it says page 166;
"The theory that Elias Wessén has set forth[29] that the Skjoldungs
were Heruli will hardly be disproved. And N.C.Lukman recently adduced
strong arguments[30] that Hrólf kraki is the same person as the king
of the Heruli who was slain by the Langobards"

Einar; Meaning here Rodulf, of course.

[29] De Nordiska Folkstammarna i Beowulf (Stockholm,1927), Chapter 2.
[30] Skjoldunge und Skilfinge(Copenhagen,1943), pp. 125-143.

In the above mentioned book by Wessén it is clear that his conclusion
is that the Heruli are the Skjoldungs.
I will leave out quoting but on page 25 he says that: the Heruli are
the Skjoldungs.
That is obviously his conclusion.

The same conclusions were being reached by N.C.Lukman(1943) and Claus
Krag(1991) and to mention also, by Barthi Guthmundsson(1951)

I thought that Wessén was German and therefore writing in German but
after your letter I realize he is Swedish and writing in Swedish so I
will read his book.

   Bless, Einar****************

> > > What is the source that states the the Skjoldungar are the
> > > descendants of the Heruli???
> >
> > ****Einar; Now I have to trust my memory. N.C Lukman claims so
and
> > did a lot of reaserch into that matter.. Claus Krag in his book
from
> > 1991(about Ynglingar and Ynglinga traditions) does very,very much
> > agree with him. And he is a respected scholar. Just like Lukman
> > actually.
> > Another scholar with the name of I think Elias Wiesen(very likely
not
> > rightly written here) claims so too but I have not seen his
writings.
> > I guess that because Claus Krag does accept Lukmans ideas and
found
> > them convincing I do guess that many other scholars do agree with
him.
> > But as for now I do not know of other scholars.
>
> I assume you are referring to Elias Wessén (1889-1981), a Swedish
linguist who was
> fellow of Svenska Akademin (anyone has a short biography of him?
Please post it
> to my adress, or here if you find it suiting the topics).
> I'd be interesting in reading this part, and I ask any member
familiar with this
> passage to send me some references on it. I have some books from
him, and although
> some ideas are clearly of old, he has many interesting ideas and a
credible research
> in most cases.
>
> > *** Thanks for your kind comments. Bless,bless Einar.
> > >
> > > cheers,
> > > Dirk
>
> Thanks,
> Oskar