[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruli in the East-Migration period legends.

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Wed Jan 23 18:22:14 UTC 2002

Hi Einar,

thanks for the information. I will check it up!
And yes, Wessén was Swedish!

Oskar

> --- In gothic-l at y..., "Oskar Andersson" <o.andersson at g...> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> *********Hæ Oskar.  Sorry for my late answer.
>
> In Barthi Guthmundsson´s book it says page 166;
> "The theory that Elias Wessén has set forth[29] that the Skjoldungs
> were Heruli will hardly be disproved. And N.C.Lukman recently adduced
> strong arguments[30] that Hrólf kraki is the same person as the king
> of the Heruli who was slain by the Langobards"
>
> Einar; Meaning here Rodulf, of course.
>
> [29] De Nordiska Folkstammarna i Beowulf (Stockholm,1927), Chapter 2.
> [30] Skjoldunge und Skilfinge(Copenhagen,1943), pp. 125-143.
>
> In the above mentioned book by Wessén it is clear that his conclusion
> is that the Heruli are the Skjoldungs.
> I will leave out quoting but on page 25 he says that: the Heruli are
> the Skjoldungs.
> That is obviously his conclusion.
>

> The same conclusions were being reached by N.C.Lukman(1943) and Claus
> Krag(1991) and to mention also, by Barthi Guthmundsson(1951)
>
> I thought that Wessén was German and therefore writing in German but
> after your letter I realize he is Swedish and writing in Swedish so I
> will read his book.
>
>    Bless, Einar****************

> > > ****Einar; Now I have to trust my memory. N.C Lukman claims so
> and
> > > did a lot of reaserch into that matter.. Claus Krag in his book
> from
> > > 1991(about Ynglingar and Ynglinga traditions) does very,very much
> > > agree with him. And he is a respected scholar. Just like Lukman
> > > actually.
> > > Another scholar with the name of I think Elias Wiesen(very likely
> not
> > > rightly written here) claims so too but I have not seen his
> writings.
> > > I guess that because Claus Krag does accept Lukmans ideas and
> found
> > > them convincing I do guess that many other scholars do agree with
> him.
> > > But as for now I do not know of other scholars.
> >
> > I assume you are referring to Elias Wessén (1889-1981), a Swedish
> linguist who was
> > fellow of Svenska Akademin (anyone has a short biography of him?
> Please post it
> > to my adress, or here if you find it suiting the topics).
> > I'd be interesting in reading this part, and I ask any member
> familiar with this
> > passage to send me some references on it. I have some books from
> him, and although
> > some ideas are clearly of old, he has many interesting ideas and a
> credible research
> > in most cases.
> >
> > > *** Thanks for your kind comments. Bless,bless Einar.

> > Thanks,
> > Oskar

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM