[gothic-l] Recommendation

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Jan 23 19:31:19 UTC 2002

In "Gotland Östersjöns pärla" I only use Visigoter, Ostrogoter and Krimgoter

Unfortunately much of the older Swedish litterture is burdened with
the invented namen Väst- and Östgoter. It is hard to get rid of this
old legacy as many authors like Hermodson just copy older literature
without controlling the sources (laziness or ignorance). Therefore we
also find it in newer Swedish literature.
Tore

>Oskar,
>
>Actually visigoter is used in Swedish along
>with vaestgoter. See Ingemar Nordgren's
>_Goterkaellan - om goterna i Norden och på
>kontinenten_,  Skara: Vaestergoetlands
>museums skriftserie nr 30, 441 p., 2000,
>pp. 154, 236, 372 (for vaestgoter) and
>pp. 235, 236,261 (for visigoter).
>
>Gothically
>
>Bertil
>
>I used the term Westgoths since it was the
>direct translation of your quote. Of course
>Visigoths is the proper term, and I'd say
>Visigoter would be the correct term in Swedish
>and not Västgoter.
>

>You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank
>email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fast. - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AxtVhB/6XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM