[gothic-l] Recommendation

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Jan 23 21:06:36 UTC 2002

Tore,

As I have demonstrated all four terms are still
in use. Your preference is noted and I also
think, without making any judgement,
that visigoter and ostrogoter could in the future
replace the two other terms. Geographically
vaestgoter and oestgoter are correct.

A sign of the changing times could be that
the Swedish National Encyclopedia is presenting
it's article on the Visigoths under visigoter and
under vaestgoter is a reference to visigoter.

When quoting sources it is of course necessary
to refer the vaestgoter and oestgoter.

Gothically

Bertil

In "Gotland Östersjöns pärla" I only use Visigoter, Ostrogoter and Krimgoter

Unfortunately much of the older Swedish litterture is burdened with
the invented namen Väst- and Östgoter. It is hard to get rid of this
old legacy as many authors like Hermodson just copy older literature
without controlling the sources (laziness or ignorance). Therefore we
also find it in newer Swedish literature.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BxtVhB/7XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM