[gothic-l] Re: Heyderdahl

tigerlipped tigerlipped at YAHOO.CA
Tue Jul 9 15:29:29 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:

> > The area of the Heyerdahl search had Eruli inhabitants after they
> > migrated to northern shore of the Black Sea after the Goti.
>

> Russian and Ukrainian archaeologists seem to dispute this nowadays.
> There has been no trace of Germanic (Chernyakhovsk) cultural
remains
> in the area north of the Sea of Azov. Instead, there has been
plenty
> of evidence that Sarmatians and Alans living there. It is probably
> more reasonable to assume that the Eastern Heruls lived further
west
> of the Black Sea (Moldova?), perhaps in the same region as the
> Eudosiani, together with whom they may have reached the area in the
> first place.
>
> Dirk

Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if you
please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by Thomas
Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.

When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into its
normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with a
great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to locate his
tomb?

Hilsen

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!