[gothic-l] Re: Heyderdahl

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Jul 9 16:09:57 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "tigerlipped" <tigerlipped at y...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
>

> > > The area of the Heyerdahl search had Eruli inhabitants after
they
> > > migrated to northern shore of the Black Sea after the Goti.
> >

> > Russian and Ukrainian archaeologists seem to dispute this
nowadays.
> > There has been no trace of Germanic (Chernyakhovsk) cultural
> remains
> > in the area north of the Sea of Azov. Instead, there has been
> plenty
> > of evidence that Sarmatians and Alans living there. It is
probably
> > more reasonable to assume that the Eastern Heruls lived further
> west
> > of the Black Sea (Moldova?), perhaps in the same region as the
> > Eudosiani, together with whom they may have reached the area in
the
> > first place.
> >
> > Dirk
>
> Thank you for your replies to my question. I have another, if you
> please. According to Jordanes, (De Rebus Geticis, as quoted by
Thomas
> Hodgkin,'Barbarian Invasion of the Roman Empire. page 464 I
> Visigothic Invasions) when Alaric died at Cosenza, in 410, the
> Busento was diverted from its normal course so that the Gothic
> leader's grave could be excavated beneath it.
>
> When the tomb was finished, the stream was directed back into its
> normal channel. According to legend (?) Alaric was buried with a
> great deal of treasure. Has any attempt ever been made to locate
his
> tomb?
>
> Hilsen

Hi Hilsen,

I understand that many attempts have been made to find Alaric's
grave. If I remember correctly, a news-report in the 1980s caused
some uproar when it claimed that the grave of Alaric had been
discovered. The place turned out to be from the 9th century.
Unfortunately, with Heyerdahl dead there is probably nobody arround
anymore to launch an expedition to find Alaric's grave;-)

The poem by August Graf von Platen will probably inspire many
treasure hunters in future:

„Nächtlich am Busento lispeln bei Cosenza dumpfe Lieder; / Aus den
Wassern schallt es Antwort, und in Wirbeln klingt es wieder! / Und
den Fluß hinauf, hinunter ziehn die Schatten tapferer Goten, / Die
den Alarich beweinen, ihres Volkes besten Toten......"

cheers

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/TPvn8A/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/wWMplB/TM