[gothic-l] Re: Counts of Coimbra ?

F. E. Jimenez jimenezf01 at MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU
Tue Jul 9 17:45:44 UTC 2002

Carlos,
Welcome!
Fear not, though your query about genealogy may not be poignant to the
"usual" interests and subjects discussed on this list, I believe you
will find some subscribers (here) to be very helpful and curious
concerning all aspects of Gothic culture and its ensuing heritage. I for
one find your topic a refreshing change from the "usual" diversion and
obviously quite relevant to things Gothic (Visigothic).

First off- you should not find it odd that you ‘may’ have discovered
connections to Gothic ancestors since such connections are quite common
and often "documented" as far back as the “Urbs Regia” of Oviedo and
even the Visigothic reign of Toledo. People in the Iberian Peninsula
have long had a Penchant for systematic, thorough record keeping both in
its ecclesiastical and lay institutions; a practice that first begun
when Iberia became the Roman province of "Hispania".

For several reasons (which would be too lengthy to cover here), record
keeping was also "de rigueur" during the Visigothic kingdom at Toledo
and after 711 when Oviedo (in Asturias) became the “Urbs Regia”.
Nonetheless, early on, during the Reconquest it became practical and
important to substantiate one’s Visigothic parentage for several
reasons, e.g. to ensure one’s noble title and/or the possible return of
a family's land holdings and political office enjoyed prior to the
invasion of 711 (should the latter lands be wrested from the occupiers
by the Reconquest).

Individuals that could prove Visigothic parentage were called “Hidalgos”
[a contraction of Hijo-d’al-godos] meaning (son of the Goths) in the
formative Castilian language. The latter term is still very much in use
and is used to refer to an individual that though lacking noble title
can prove ancestry to a Visigothic lineage. --- The latter however, has
a dark side. Certification of Visigothic ancestry was highly sought
after during the “limpieza de sangre” when the notorious (laws) of
“purity of blood” were passed. They in essence relegated anything other
than European-Hispano/Visigothic descent as un-Spanish and un-Christian.
Purity of blood was eventually used as an argument for the expulsion
from Spain of what were deemed “undesirable ethnic elements”.

A bit of practical advice and a caveat as regards your genealogical
research:
First – Hiring a reputable, professional genealogist (even on a part
time basis) is worth the money. They will find things faster and in
places that you would never have thought to look (private family
libraries et al.. Once proof of lineage is found you might want to make
application for a certificate to the "Conselho de Nobreza" (Council of
the Nobility), which was formed under the authority of the Duke of
Braganca, head of the Royal house of Portugal, though it is my belief
that Spain will also accept and process such claims. (The Duke of
Braganca would be the present King of Portugal, if Portugal had remained
a monarchy instead of a republic).

Secondly – When we “do” find such ancestral lineages it is only truly
meaningful as a matter of romantic curiosity. The most compelling
genetic evidence to date indicates that all humans are part of the same
family; we are all related back to a common ancestor and are a product
of the myriad people that comprise our particular lineage. The terms
applied to groups such as “Goths”, “Angles”, “Saxons”, “(H)eruls”,
“Germans” “Turks” etc are either linguistic or cultural designations
that allow us the expediency of categorization. Language, culture and
experiences are not hereditary. Furthermore, no group is imbued with
‘intrinsic’ importance, prestige etc. Speaking as a molecular
anthropologist, there are no discrete genetic signatures for Celts or
Angles, Saxons or Goths.

Lastly - Though personal genealogy is a subject that has to my knowledge
never been discussed on this list. There have been sundry contributions
that make mention of the heritage left to the present as a result of the
Spanish (Iberian) Gothia. I recommend that you search the archives and
more specifically, that you look for this list’s discussion (some two
years ago) concerning the origin of the suffixes of Spanish (or
Portuguese) surnames Ximen[ez], Rodrigu[ez]; ( iz, az, es as, etc)
found ‘that’ thread particularly interesting.

Again welcome, and I hope you find this list beneficial.

Frithunanths Elatheus Ximenez.

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/TPvn8A/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/wWMplB/TM