[gothic-l] Star, Quarterfoil & Swan Iconography

mazgallos cdecarvalho at SAPO.PT
Thu Jul 11 22:43:56 UTC 2002

Good Evening,

I would post then my first question regarding the problem I've been
studying for some time.
The blason of Carvalho's family is a lunel (or quarterfoil if you
prefer), four crescents turned to the interior and touching
their points. In the center of the lunel (or=yellow/gold) there is a
8 point star (argent=white/silver. Everything is over an azur=blue
field. The crest is a swan.
For it's simplicity seems to be of an old origin. Even though it is
said to be given only in "Battle of Salado" by 1344 the same drawing
appears in some seals of the XIIth century, linked to ecclesiastical
documents.
The lunel appears also in the old family of Sousas (thought to be the
oldest in Portugal). Tradition say it derives from 4 flags with
a crescent symbol in in took from the Moors. First heraldic
representation of this lunel appears in Monastery of Alcobaça by the
XIIIth century, but again it appears before in tombs or seals.
For what I know, correct me if I'm wrong, the crescent became
associated with the Arab culture only by the XIVth century
from bizantine influence. If that is true the traditional explanation
would go wrong for this and a lot of other families.

I have my own theory on the subject, which explains it not as
a lunel but as a quarterfoil, extensively used in royal "rodados"
and seals in medieval times to sign and confirm the documents.
Both the Sousa's and Carvalho's ancestors and relatives were among
the first "mordomos-mor" (dapifer) of the earlier kings and counts.
One of the function of these was precisely to care for the tools
that proved the king certification: "rodados" and seals.

The Counts of Coimbra are called by many Judges of Coimbra as they
were allowed a ruling power over the christians but wouldn't have
the military decisive power. The mozarab independent ruling was one
of the reasons of keeping the gothic law during medieval ages.

I found that the medieval (XIIIth century) symbol used by
the judge and notary guild of Florence (Italy) was a gold
8 point star over a blue field. The only common link I can find
between the two is gothic. Ostrogoth for the latter and Wisigoth
for the former. Has gothic law influenced italian law ?

Is there any gothic iconography known on these ?

Thanks,

Carlos Carvalho

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!