[gothic-l] Star, Quarterfoil & Swan Iconography

AElfric and Ursula amali at SOFTHOME.NET
Fri Jul 12 02:37:52 UTC 2002

Hails!

<<For what I know, correct me if I'm wrong, the crescent became
associated with the Arab culture only by the XIVth century
from bizantine influence. If that is true the traditional explanation
would go wrong for this and a lot of other families.>>

There is other evidence of a possible connection between the Goths and the crescent moon and star symbol:

Wolfram states that the Amali shared the Sassinid royal insignia (which was a crescent moon enclosed in a circle).  Ermanaric’s kingdom extended into Sarmatia, and it was perhaps him who first bore the Amali royal insignia which Jordanes mentions. In the Getica, the insignia of Ermanaric was passed down to Vinitharius of the Amali. The insignia is further passed on from Valamir to Thiudimir. Stanko Guldescu relates that the crescent moon and star symbol was common among the Ostrogoths, and was present on the shield of Theoderic the Great. In many ways, the Goths who pushed into Scythia were the heirs of the Sassinids. This may be further reflected in the similarities between some Gothic ornamental depictions, and the Faravahar.

That symbols using crescent moons and stars survive in connection with the later Visigoths only reinforces the possibility of a connection between these symbols and the Goths.

Could you give some references, books or web sites, where depictions can be found of these symbols on seals, tombs and in early heraldry?

Albareiks

Save on REALTOR Fees
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Xw80LD/h1ZEAA/Ey.GAA/wWMplB/TM