[gothic-l] Re: Crescent , star and swan

tigerlipped tigerlipped at YAHOO.CA
Sat Jul 13 08:24:12 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> This new theme about a moon symbol is quite intriguing and connects
till
> my own earlier hypothesis already published in my book.
>
> It is quite evident from Wulfila that the Goths earlier adorned the
moon
> and that is also seen on their spear tips being insigned with moon
and
> swastika (sun). The  bracteates also show horned horses who, like
the
> Ibero-Roman stelae - both pre-christian and christian - also
showing
> horns/crescents that quite evidently depict the moon. These are
also
> connected just with the eight armed star or a eight sponged wheel
cross
> combining moon and sun (sun god and earthgodess). Originally the
star
> was used within the Mithras cult and is of Iranian origin. The
three
> mags  following the star till the cave/stable where Mithras was
born. It
> is later changed to the hebreic star with sich points and the birth
is
> moved till Betlehem. These stelae I have closely examined during a
> research trip on the Iberian peninsula in cooperation with the
> university of Léon. We have votivestones, not exactly similar but
still
> with the same motifs, on the  island of Gotland from approximately
the
> 5th to 6th cc.They are comparable with the pre-Christian stelae.
The
> horns or ships all have the crescent shape and remind of the
> Therafrescoes and of the Ibero-Roman stones. There are also clear
> indications that makes it possible to see similarities to the
> Vadeniensian stelae and the arrival of this style to Gotland  could
> possibly depend on contacts with celts in La Tène. An interesting
fact
> is  also that just within the former Visigothic realm, after the
Order
> of the Templars was dissolved, an earlier unknown  variant of
Virgin
> Mary, the Madonna on the  Crescent, pops up and is now established.
It
> is well known that the Arians connected Mary with the Moon and she
> continued the earlier cults of Alma Mater, Isis and Harpokrates in
the
> Serapion cult et c. She was the heiress of the fertility godess and
her
> sign in Byzantion  was the Tree of Life, often in a gateway. I will
> return to this further down.
>
> About the Swan I am more insecure. The Goths had however a special
> heritage from the Sassanids and the East Roman empire - the
imperial
> peacocks. In their Gothic shape they are not very similar to the
Roman
> ones but can in Visigothic sculptures not be mistaken for  swans.
In the
> Gotlandic stones however they seem more like ducks or geese. The
Broa
> stone might possibly be a peacock hen. Still we have the story of
the
> Völsungs where three Swan maidens were married to the brethren.
This
> definitely belongs to the saga stuff known by the Goths.
>
> A runic stone in Sparlösa in Västergötland, Sweden is interesting
in
> this connection. It depicts a cathedral with twin towers, a ship in
> shape of a clear moon crescent, a sail with a Christian cross.
Above the
> sail there are sitting two birds  that most evidently are peacocks.
> Beneath the ship is  a kind of spotted leopard and another animal.
Below
> there is a rider with a frygian cap and tight trousers pointing a
sword
> upwards and accompanied by a dog. Since this is just the
Ostrogothic
> mode in the time of Theoderic as shown on Ravenna mosaics I think
there
> is a clear connection. The ship with cross is the Virgin Mary and
this
> stone indicates Arian Christianity in Sweden between 7th-to 9th
century.
> There is a discussion of the runes, who are incomprehensible sorry
> say, since they give no direct information exept a secondary text
from
> probably the 11th c. There are both 24 type futhark and 16-type
(most).
> Possibly the introduction of the younger runes could be moved back
till
> the 7th century. That is at least what I suppose. The person  who
carved
> the stone must either have visited the Ostrogothic realm or been
told of
> it by somebody  who had. This person - the teller or carver -
should
> have been living at least in the latter half of the 6th century.
>
> Accordingly I do not find it specially peculiar   hearing about
this
> heraldry and I agree it ought to be of Visigothic origin.
>
> This is reinforced with regard to the paper signs introduced by
early so
> called heretics. The Albingenses, Cathares et c. have a direct
> connection with the old Visigothic realm in Provence and Languedoc.
> After Reccared joined the pope, starting persecutions of
disbelievers,
> specially Jews,many Visigoths ought to have continued as Arians and
> after 711 there probably remained Arian Visigoths in Northern Spain
and
> also in Carcasson, Narbonne and the surrounding area. They might
have
> influenced the later upcoming "heresies". The Cathars were known to
be
> extremyly tolerant, cultural and peaceful and the tolerance might
be of
> Visigothic Arian origin. The closeness to the sun- and moon cult
within
> Christianity is another similarity between Arians and Cathars.
>
> I know there will be opposition to this but this is my decided
opinion.

> Best regards
> Ingemar

Hello Ingemar:
As you probably know, birds were used as "kennings" for ships by the
Viking skalds. The Swan-Road, for example, was a kenning for the sea.
Keel birds were ships, and so on. On the east coast of the Danish
island, Bornholm, about 225 kms S.W. of Gotland, there is a town
called, Svaneke. Svaneke is a fishing port dating back, at least, to
the middle ages. Its official seal incorporates the graceful swan.

Perhaps the mysterious knight who courted and married the Duchess of
Boullion was a waylaid Viking.;-)

Ben

Save on REALTOR Fees
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Xw80LD/h1ZEAA/Ey.GAA/wWMplB/TM