[gothic-l] Re: Castile and Visigothic Tradition

Carlos Carvalho cdecarvalho at SAPO.PT
Wed Jul 17 21:48:36 UTC 2002

Sorry, it's not for me, but I'll try to give my contribution.

I think Alfonso was refering mainly to manuscipts and in this sense
appears first named as "visigotica", more specificaly "toletana" in a XIII
century
document that describes the results of the 1090's Council of Leon. Some
called
this letters as mozarabic. The visigothic writing is called this way in
France, Spain,
Portugal and Italy.
The older documents are from VII th century  (Los Diplomas Visigodos
Originales en
Pergamino - Anscari M. Mundó - Barcelona - 1974, PhD thesis, not in print).
In Portugal the oldest is from 882 (seen in "Philologische Studien zur
Latinität Westhispanischer
Privaturkunden des 9-12 Jahrhunderts" - Wolf-Dieter Lange - Leiden/Köln -
1966)
Last portuguese documents in "pure" visigothic are from 1101 (cursive) and
1123 (round).

Regards,

Carlos Carvalho
(Maia - Portugal)