[gothic-l] Re: Castile and Visigothic Tradition

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jul 18 08:15:49 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Carlos Carvalho" <cdecarvalho at s...> wrote:
> Sorry, it's not for me, but I'll try to give my contribution.
>
> I think Alfonso was refering mainly to manuscipts and in this sense
> appears first named as "visigotica", more specificaly "toletana" in
a XIII
> century
> document that describes the results of the 1090's Council of Leon.
Some
> called
> this letters as mozarabic. The visigothic writing is called this
way in
> France, Spain,
> Portugal and Italy.
> The older documents are from VII th century  (Los Diplomas Visigodos
> Originales en
> Pergamino - Anscari M. Mundó - Barcelona - 1974, PhD thesis, not in
print).
> In Portugal the oldest is from 882 (seen in "Philologische Studien
zur
> Latinität Westhispanischer
> Privaturkunden des 9-12 Jahrhunderts" - Wolf-Dieter Lange -
Leiden/Köln -
> 1966)
> Last portuguese documents in "pure" visigothic are from 1101
(cursive) and
> 1123 (round).
>
> Regards,
>
> Carlos Carvalho
> (Maia - Portugal)

Hi Carlos,

can I just ask, when you write that documents were in 'pure'
Visigothic, do you mean a) in Gothic language or b) in the Wulfila
alphabet or c) in an old Hispanic script that was named Visigothic,
just as for example a certain German script that is still used today
is called Gothic?

cheers,

Will You Find True Love?
Will You Meet the One?