[gothic-l] Gothich and Other Languages

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jul 18 18:26:19 UTC 2002

Ben:

One of my Gothic interests is the relation between
Gothic and other languages. Am unaware of any
relation between Gothic and Jutish, but it ought
to be researched.

The Polish scholar Witold Manzcak is doing research
on the relation of Gothic to Danish, Swedish and German
(see his article "Germanenproblem, toponymie et comparaison
du vocabulaire dans des textes parallèles",  Historische
Sprachforschung (Historical Linguistics), 110. Band (1997),
1. Heft.

In this area my main interest is the relation of Gothic to Old Gutnish (on the
Island of Gotland). For a short introduction to the Gutnish language
see www.propago.org/historylang

Maybe some linguist on the list can inform on a possible link
between Gothic and Jutish.

Gothically

Bertil

> Thank you for the link. The old, Jute dialect differs from modern
> Danish in several ways. For example, in Jute the definite article is
> proclitic, as opposed to modern Danish where the article is enclitic.
> In this way, Jute resembles modern and old English.
> Since Hollis considers Frisisan as a sub-group of the Germanic
> language, what, if any, is the current, scholastic position on the
> Jutish dialect, and how does it stand in relation to Gothic.I hope
> this question isn't too far afield for this site.

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/TPvn8A/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/wWMplB/TM