[gothic-l] Re: archaeology and the gothic question

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jul 25 10:08:34 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "area1963" <info at a...> wrote:
> Hi to everyone in the list,
> I'm sorry for my poor english and i pity in advance the listers
that
> should suffer my literature. I'm not directly interested in the
> gothic language, (I see is the most common subject in the list),
but
> in fact I work as professional archaeologist, and i wish to ask to
> any eventual colleague about one rare kind of thomb we've found out
> recently in a site near Madrid. Some people consider it a gothic
> settlement, but it's a tough question to solve only from an
> archaeological point of view.
> The site is called Gozquez (toponimic questions apart) and show a
> disperse-like village extended more than 10 hectars and formed of
> houses and sunken-featured buildings with its complete cemetery in
> the middle. The occupation is dated from the first quarter of the
6th
> century to the middle of 8th. The half-dozen graves that i want to
> elucidate form a minimal part of the whole site (the excavation
> involved more than 350) and are described in the french
bibliography
> as "tombes à niches". They look like a normal grave at the begining
> (the rectangular pit) but display lateral cameras (one or two)
where
> the skeletons are buried, normally protected by a wall of stones.
> I found out parallels for this type of grave in the Black Sea
region,
> where they are adscribed to the Sarmatian culture, but i don't know
> other examples in Europe. Some people told me that they
sporadically
> compare in the invasions period along middle-Europe.
> May anyone in the list lead me to the apropiate bibliography (if
> it's available in English or French) or tell me something more
about
> this phenomenon?
> Thank you very much,
> Alfonso Vigil-Escalera

Hello Alfonso,

maybe you should post this question to the European-Archaeology List

There are a lot of professional archaeologists on that list.

cheers

Will You Find True Love?
Will You Meet the One?
Free Love Reading by phone!