[gothic-l] archaeology and the gothic question

F. E. Ximenez jimenezf01 at MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU
Wed Jul 31 07:59:18 UTC 2002

Dear George,
As is usually the case in discussion groups, I will have to surmise what
you are trying to point out by your note since I think I am reading too
many things into it. --     I certainly hope I understood you correctly
and that I am about to address the right point in a suitable manner.
Nonetheless, thanks for the note.
Actually,--- I am somewhat acquainted with the interactions between
Goths - Alans - Suevi - Vandals (Silings and Asdings).  I am nonetheless
always open to know more "on any" subject.
Much like you, I am also persuaded that a great deal of evidence
indicates that ( Alanic ) (and other) ethnic elements did merge into the
Gothic tribes during different periods. It is also well agreed that part
of the Alanic tribe retained their tribal identity and organization and
migrated westward and subsequently interacted in different ways with
different tribal peoples; Vandals, Suebi and "Visigoths"-(among whose
ranks were ethnic Alans).
As a consequence of the Alan's movements in western Europe, niche graves
and other evidence is evident in Spain and elsewhere on the continent,
therefore,  I am not at all surprised by the stated find (if it is
Alanic). I was rather "surprised" by the fact that I may have been
introduced to and acquainted with "Alfonso" the individual who wrote the
query concerning the stated graves.
Kind regards,
F.X.

george knysh wrote:

> --- Fernando Jimenez <jimenezf01 at mail.montclair.edu>
> Off the
> > cuff, they appear to be "Alanic", (a group against
> > whom the Visigoths
> > waged war).
>
> ******GK: True for some periods. Keep in mind however
> that the historical post-376 "Visigoths" included
> ethnic elements from further east (Greuthungian and
> Alanic-- those who fled from the Huns with Alatheus
> and Saphrax for instance). It is now established as
> solidly as these things can be that (unlike the Slavs)
> most of the Alans and Late Scythians who symbiotized
> with the Goths prior to the Hunnic onslaught migrated
> westward. The appearance of their graves among Gothic
> groups throughout Western Europe should therefore
> cause no particular surprise.********

> http://health.yahoo.com

> You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank
> email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NsdPZD/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/wWMplB/TM