[gothic-l] Re: Gothic kingdoms

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Mon Jun 3 12:19:26 UTC 2002

Hi Ingemar,

> Hi Oskar!
>
> I wondered the same when I stumbled over it. The only explanation I can
> see is that he uses the word kingdom in a more general sense, including
> the lokal reiks-leaders of the different kunis/kunjas, even when they
> approvingly were controlled of a leading king.

That might very well be, but what source is Heather referring to? That is my main
problem. I don't know what exactly to consult, and if it is Ammianus Marcellinus
then I would like some page referation, because it is too much of summer to sit
inside and study him :-)

He also claims Athanarik
> was a king  and hence equates the title of kindins with king and calls
> the realm of the vesi-tervingi a kingdom, to which I definitely
> disagree.

What is your main objections to such a presentation?

 Athanarik was however a reiks/king of his own kunja of course
> but that is another matter. Evidently people speaking and thinking in
> English have trouble to distuingish between the title king and closely
> related titles not claiming formal kingship.
>
> Best
> Ingemar

Thanks,
Oskar