[gothic-l] Re:Gothic kingdoms

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Mon Jun 3 20:43:39 UTC 2002

> He also claims Athanarik
>
>>was a king  and hence equates the title of kindins with king and calls
>>the realm of the vesi-tervingi a kingdom, to which I definitely
>>disagree.
>>

> What is your main objections to such a presentation?

Mainly I have already stated it below but I can add that kindins was
just the leader of the council of reiks, and the formal kingship is
considered abandoned with the division between Greuthungi and
Vesi-Tervingi when the þiuðans stops to exist. Kindins upholds the old
royal function of high priest(sacral king) and  makes the leading
families cooperate, and in that way keeps the ethnicity of the Goths.
Kindins means  just 'kins-man' in my way to translate it and not the
Roman 'judge'. Concerning Heather I did also not find any sources.

>  Athanarik was however a reiks/king of his own kunja of course
> >>but that is another matter. Evidently people speaking and thinking in
>>English have trouble to distuingish between the title king and closely
>>related titles not claiming formal kingship.

Best

Ingemar

Kwick Pick opens locked car doors,
front doors, drawers, briefcases,